The Balance Mod aims to provide a set of balanced data files for Space Empires V in
keeping with the stock game along with competent and competitive AI opponents.
Captain Kwok's Balance Mod
Work on the Balance Mod began in August 2006 with the goal of creating new standard data files for Space Empires V that
were balanced and in keeping with the Space Empires series. A number of SE:V beta testers helped with the initial
direction of the mod, providing helpful feedback and even a few files. Since then, the work has continued for more
than a year as lots of suggestions and comments from the Space Empires community have kept me busy tweaking and
improving the mod. Hopefully the Balance Mod addresses most of the issues in the standard game and adds to the Space
Check out the feature list below for a brief summary of the main changes that were made. I'm always working on
the mod and keeping it up to date with each SE:V patch and not to mention the fact that there is always something
to improve - especially with the AI!
Balance Mod Downloads
To install, extract to your GameTypes folder. Say 'Yes' to overwrite files if you are updating a previous copy. Check out the
Balance Mod Help Page if you are having trouble.
Can be used with SE5 v1.74+
Please note the v1.20 series is not compatible with v1.15+ saved games, empire files, maps or setup files!
Can be used with SE5 v1.74+
Savegame compatible with v1.15+ games!
Older versions of the mod (v1.20a/b, v1.19i, v1.15) can be found here:
Balance Mod Download Archive
Balance Mod Extras/Add-Ons
Balance Mod Extras
A variety of special event scripts or mini mods for the Balance Mod such as the Random Research Events, Pollution Event scripts
or BM Small Systems.
Balance Mod Forum
SE5 Balance Mod Forums
The Official Balance Mod forums are hosted over at SpaceEmpires.net. Currently the forums are in archive mode but you can
still access all the threads.
Steam SE5 Community Forum
Currently most active SE5 forum often featuring BM discussion and updates.
Balance Mod Help and FAQs
Balance Mod History
The complete public history log for the Balance Mod. It's updated with each new release.
Balance Mod Help
Need some help installing the mod or adding a custom race? Check the help page.
Balance Mod FAQs
Interested to learn more about the content or mechanics of the mod? Read the FAQs.
Balance Mod Minister FAQs
What do the ministers in the Balance Mod do? Read the Minister FAQs.
Balance Mod Resources
Balance Mod v1.20 Tech Chart (253 kb)
Detailed tech chart with index (mostly) valid for the BM v1.20 series.
Balance Mod v1.19 Tech Chart (130 kb)
Detailed tech chart with index valid for the BM v1.19 series.
Balance Mod v1.19j Source Scripts (403 kb)
For interested modders who'd like to see how the AI is designed. BM v1.20 scripts will be posted
with the final release.
Balance Mod Features
- Balanced Racial Trait costs, Government and Society Types
- Incorporates Fyron's Quadrant Mod
- Detailed ability and modifier descriptions
- Smaller Empire Flags for the system map
- Increased consumption of organics by population
- Less drastic effects for some Events
- Revised leaky intel system to eliminate all-or-nothing intel attacks
- Reduced number of tech levels, but higher costs to eliminate need for frequent retrofitting
- Enhanced organization of tech areas
- Many items now under more appropriate tech areas
- Improved balance in research costs for comparible items
- Ship sizes increase in more useful amounts per level
- SE:III style propulsion means bigger ships need more engines
- Ships dedicate roughly the same percentage of space to engines/components/weapons - helps improve Small/Large ship balance
- Additional maintenance or attack/defense modifiers for many ship hulls
- Differentiated racial trait hulls for Organic and Crystalline empires
- Additional design types for the player and AI
- Auto complete function can design many more ship types to save time
Components and Facilities:
- Lots of changes to costs and effect amounts of Components and Facilities
- Slight change in costs to encourage more diverse resource economies
- Proportionate increases in ability amounts amongst related items, such as weapon damage and armor
- Many components are now considered as cargo, expanding the use of freighters/transports
- Less tedious ship design with logically organized components
- Shields and Armor are more equivalent in their effects, which allows for flexibility in play styles
- Improved weapon balance allows more flexibility in weapon choices
- Weapon mounts provide a less drastic increase in firepower for the change in weapon size
- More effective point-defense
- More effective AI ship designs with appropriate component choices
- Additional AI design types
- Adaptive AI colony type selection
- Revised AI research pathways
- Some AI prioritization in research and responsive research point spending
- Increased variety in ships for AI Fleets
- More developed AI diplomacy
- AI more aggressive in defending its territory
- AI manages units more effectively
- AI uses stellar manipulation technology
- AI uses advanced facilities and components
- Some adaption to enemies' designs
Home | Mods